Genetic information and knowledge is changing rapidly. The testing process may be complex and it is important to have a trusted source for gaining answers to your questions. Our genetic counselors work with you and your doctor. Many people appreciate the opportunity to speak to a genetic counselor to understand their genetic risks and testing options. You may meet with a genetic counselor when you are considering genetic testing or to discuss the results of genetic testing.
Together, you and your genetic counselor may:
- Evaluate your family history and consider how your family and medical histories may help determine the likelihood that a particular disease would occur
- Review basic genetic concepts including how chromosomes, genes and DNA influence health
- Discuss inherited diseases and conditions and the chance that they might affect you or your family
- Explore which genetic tests may be right for you and what those tests may tell you along with the benefits and possible limitations of the testing
- Review results of genetic testing
- Help provide support that can be needed when genetic information presents difficult health care decisions